Monday, April 4, 2011

Scared...

This weekend marked the scariest moment of my life as a parent to date. The weekend started out fairly low key, just a visit with some friends at the park, then a date night at the Ranger's game on Saturday evening. However, Sunday aged me about 3 years...I would say 4 but that would make me in my thirties.

It was around noon and I was getting things ready for lunch and preparing stuff for dinner. The kiddos had already eaten lunch and were playing outside on the back patio. Lukas, being a ornery boy, kept going to this part of the back fence that he is not allowed to go due to wasps trying to make their nests. I had given him a piece of a Summer Berry Muffin and he was eating and playing.

After telling him no for about the 5th time, Cody picked up Lukas and brought him in the house. This made Lukas super mad. I noticed as Cody was carrying him and set him down that he was crying, but wasn't really making a sound and had his mouth full of muffin. I walked around the counter to go pick him up and get him to calm down. As I picked him up, I realized he had not taken a breath and he turned blue and went limp in my arms. Blue limp baby = freaked out mother. I yelled "Babe" to Cody and he ran around the counter to me, but I was blocking Lukas so he barely caught a glimpse of what was going on. He also had to tend to a screaming Maddox, who knew something was wrong and was scared too.

I had heard of toddlers getting upset and holding their breath till they passed out but I wasn't sure if he was choking or that he had gotten so worked up that he had forgotten to take a breath. I immediately flipped him over and administered a couple of back blows, then held him up pulled muffin out of his mouth and blew in his face. When I blew in his face, he took a breath. I could see that he was scared and for a second he just took in short jerky breaths, I watched him closely and patted him gently while walking around the living room. This all lasted about 30 seconds, but it felt like years. Within a few minutes he was up and running around the house as if nothing had happened, while I was in tears.

I still get teared up thinking about it. Needless to say, neither Cody or I were able to finish our lunch. I also had a small discussion with Lukas and explained to him that if he wanted his mom to live to a ripe ole age, he need not do something like that EVER again. It's always nice to see that you can handle a situation, but I hope we never have to be tested AGAIN.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Eva said...

Oh my gosh! That freaks me out just reading it! Choking is one of my biggest fears when it comes to the babies. Glad he is okay! And by the way...what's wrong with aging yourself to 30? Some of us are even older than that!! :)

JessicaDuran said...

boo for that but good job!!! youre such a great mommy!

Anonymous said...

Its times like that which causes us to slow down for a second and realize how precious these little ones are and how precious every moment is. we had a scare like that when E was smaller and i just sat there and held her and kissed her like crazy. But like a great momma, you did awesome. And YES, being a parent can definitely age us ;) But you look beautiful Momma!
-Betsy