Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome to my 3rd Trimester!!!

Today, I am officially in my Third and FINAL trimester! It is hard to believe that we have come this far already!

Today we went to the Perinatologist to check everything out and things weren't exactly what we had wanted. This may be TMI for some, so skip to the next paragraph if you are easily grossed out by words like cervix! My cervix has made some changes and has started to shorten and dilate slightly. The doctor hooked me up to the monitor to monitor the twins heart rates as well as my contractions. I started contracting pretty regularly in the appointment, so my doctor has decided to take some precautions.

Starting tomorrow, I will wear a device that is essentially an insulin pump that will periodically deliver Terbutaline, an asthma medication, instead of Insulin. It's like a small IV and box that I will wear everyday. I will also have to monitor my contractions twice a day for an hour at a time...the machine will transmit the data to a home health system who will monitor and adjust my meds as needed. This will stop any contractions that I am having and hopefully stop any more changes in my cervix! The medicine does have a few side effects, but it was definately the lesser of two evils when I was given the option of that or Procardia. I was given a small dose today and it worked like a charm in stopping my contractions and the side effects (increased heart rate, pounding of the heart, and the jitters) were pretty mild. I am also confined to couch/bed/propped up feet all day rest. No more galavanting the greater DFW area for me!

Our doctor also ran an Fetal Fibronectin (FFN) and it came back negative, which means they are 99.9% sure I will not go into preterm labor in the next 2 weeks. If the test had come back positive she would have been much more aggressive in my treatment.

Cody and I are trying to stay positive about the entire situation. We feel truly blessed to be in such good hands, and we feel that our doctors are taking all the necessary precautions.

Our babies are also in the hands of the ULTIMATE PHYSICIAN who tells us: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

On a lighter note, I am leaving you with the 28 week picture....GET EXCITED!!!

28 weeks

:
Signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look bigger in your 27 week, skinny mini...

love you,

lindsey

Unknown said...

You look wonderful as usual!

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

praying for you friend. How did your week go?

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

how's bedrest going?