Friday, June 5, 2009

And Then....There were TWO!?!?

Tuesday, June 2nd marked a dramatic change in our lives.

Cody and I had been anticipating our 8 week doctor's appointment for 3 weeks. We were so ready to see our little "bean's" heartbeat. The pregnancy has seemed so surreal, that we were ready to see some concrete evidence of our child.

As most of you know, I tend to be a worrier and this experience has taught me that I worry about EVERYTHING. So we said a quick prayer in the doctor's office, just asking God to bless our appointment and that we would be able to see bean's heartbeat strong and steady.

Dr. Tatum came in as jovial as usual and started to do an ultrasound and I don't mean the kind that they rub ontop of your belly =) It took him mere seconds to find that beautiful heartbeat; Cody and I stared in amazement at the flicker on the screen. Dr. Tatum said "There is your baby and the heartbeat." We were relieved.

Now the next part is still kind of a daze. Dr. Tatum being the thorough man he is moved the little wand around and said "WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT...What is that little material that looks like ANOTHER baby." Cody and I exchange awkward glances. Our doctor then proceeds to say "Sarah, Put your clothes on, I'm sending you across the hall to see the sonogram "pros" to see if there are TWO viable fetuses."

As I get dressed, Cody and I don't say much...but then the nurses burst open the door and ask if we're causing double trouble. The next few minutes seemed like hours as we sat in the "sonogram pros" office. The nurse making a comment.."I would love a penny for YOUR thoughts." The next phrase was repeated over and over and over..."OH MY GOSH"!!!

The Sonogram Tech comes in and tells me to get undressed again and gives me a sheet. Cody and I make small talk and repeat OH MY GOSH about 100 more times. The tech comes in and starts the ultrasounds....Immediately this is what we see...

Twins

Cody and I stare in awe at the screen. We were barely prepared to see one baby and now in one mere second we have become a family of four.

The tech then measures each little blessing. They both measure 8 week and 3 days. She then listens and measures each of their heartbeats..one has a heartbeat of 177 beats per minute and the other has a heartbeat of 164 beat per minute.

When she turned on the sound and we hear those beautiful living heartbeats, Cody and I shared a moment of peace and emotions.

Needless to say, we are still in shock but we feel so very blessed. Our God has taken such wonderful care of us and he has answered our prayer and more.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: